Thread: 'Although' and " but" . Can they go together?

Default 'Although' and " but" . Can they go together?

I wonder how I can use these words in the same sentence.
    Could u help? Thanks 4 advance

Quote Originally Posted by Aom View Post
    Maybe you would give us a couple of samples, so we could get your idea better.

Although he is a heavy drinker, he is behaving himself tonight, but we should still keep an eye on him.

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget View Post
    Although he is a heavy drinker, he is behaving himself tonight, but we should still keep an eye on him.
    That's exactly what I'm talking about. If we talk about complex semtences, then of course we can use them both in the same time. But I think Aom asks of something different.

Quote Originally Posted by SomeOne View Post
    That's exactly what I'm talking about. If we talk about complex semtences, then of course we can use them both in the same time. But I think Aom asks of something different.
    Like this?

It rains a little bit, but although it rains a little, it rains enough to...

Check out real examples here:

1A03 was warned that the police might seek reprisals against him, but although he informed the authorities of this, novo specific measures of protection
    2A0F things and I'd been having a go myself, but although my name was appearing on more and more waiting lists, nothing
    3A0H of moving forwards every time the glider is stalled. But although they work well in the older types of glider, they are
    4A0J can expect to live 5 years longer than men. But although anyone can catch a cold or break their leg only women have
    5A1B he could not have tolerated his philosophy of life. But although they lived as the only intellectual representatives of their own language in
    6A1E Racal Telecom's Vodafone and British Telecom's Cellnet. But although the UK now has 12.28 cellular telephones per 1,000 inhabitants, Norway
    7A4P Lee also faced Gao and succumbed to two knockdowns, but although she left the hall without a medal, two good wins,
    8A5M Lebanon within two years of the reforms taking place. But although the deputies said they clinched an agreement on the charter on Thursday
    9A62 Chapter 4, Table 4.16, for details). But although it clearly had dramatic effects on the nerves of Conservative Central Office

http://corpus.byu.edu/bnc/

Click on the number at that site to reveal a wider context.