Thread: difference between these words ~~

Default difference between these words ~~

teacher, i have a rough grip of these words, but still not sure when it comes to using them

claim

reclaim

proclaim

acclaim

disclaim

declaim

and do you know any other "-claim " s ?

Default Re: difference between these words ~~

Quote Originally Posted by toto1115
    teacher, i have a rough grip of these words, but still not sure when it comes to using them

claim

reclaim

proclaim

acclaim

disclaim

declaim

and do you know any other "-claim " s ?
    claim - assert: He claims that he really did his homework and just forgot to bring it to class.

reclaim - take back: They are planning to reclaim the land that was flooded last year.

proclaim - to make an official announcement: The government proclaimed that next Tuesday will be a holiday.

acclaim - to applaud, welcome with approval: The students acclaimed the football team after their rousing victory.

disclaim - to disavow any connection with someone or something; to renounce: After they broke up, Marc disclaimed any remaining feelings for Chantelle.

declaim - I'm not really familiar with this one; from the dictionary: To make a formal speech. To argue with much oratory, appealing more with emotion than with facts or reason: He stood there and declaimed for 20 minutes, though he convinced no one.

The only other common verb I could find with a prefix + "claim" was:
    exclaim - to cry out suddenly: John saw her and exclaimed, "Wait! We have to talk."
    ---- Pete

pete, how about

declare

and any other word +clare ??

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by toto1115
    pete, how about

declare

and any other word +clare ??

thanks
    I couldn't find any common ones in the OED.
    "Esclare" is a rare, obsolete word meaning, "make clear". I've never heard or seen it before. Don't try using it.

There is a derivative word, "predeclare": to declare or announce beforehand.
    ---- Pete