Thread: Conditional Phrases...

Anonymous Guest

Default Conditional Phrases...

Well, a Conditional Phrase is the change-form of a Conditional Clause. For example: without money, he has to suffer from poverty= Were he not have money, he has to suffer from poverty.

My question is how many Conditional Phrases that can replace the Conditional Clauses? As it is said in my grammar book, Noun Phrase, Gerund Phrase, Infinitive Phrase or even That-WH-Clauses can also be used instead of Conditional Phrases to show Subjunctive Mood. Besides how can we use all these structure i.e Noun Phrases, Infinitive Phrases or Gerund Phrases to show Subjunctive mood or to express condition.

Default Re: Conditional Phrases...

I just answered this where it was posted as a followup to another question.
    ---- Pete

Anonymous Guest

Thanks a lot for helping, Anyway, I think my previous question was unclear. Well here the examples. The author said even a common noun phrase, a prepostional phrase, an infinitive phrase and a gerund phrase can be used as a conditional phrase, depending on whether the main clause has the sense of condition or the sense of subjuctive.

1)The strongest man cold not survive in the dessert without water.
    =Even if he had been the strongest man, he could not have survived in the dessert without water.

2)A well-educated man would not be so rude.
    =If he were a well-educated man, he would bot be so rude.

3)without his help, I would fail.
    =If he didn't help me, I would fail.
    =Were if not for his help, I would fail.

4)She would have been praised more to have done it by herself.
    =If she had done it by herself, she would have been praised more

5)Another failure, and he would have been completely broke.
    =If he had had another failure, he would have been completely broke.

Pete, my question is HOW DO WE KNOW WHEN WE CAN USE (A NOUN PHRASE, INFINTIVE PHRASE, GERUND PHRASE, PREPOSTIONAL PHRASE) to replace or substitute for the IF-CONDITIONAL PHRASE.

-CAN ALL THE NOUN PHRASES, GERUND PHRASES, INFINTIVE PHRASES AND PREPOSTIONAL PHRASES BE USED TO SUBSTITUTED FOR THE IF-CONDITIONAL PHRASE? IF NOT, WHY?

Anonymous Guest

Would you help me please PETE?

Default alternate conditional forms

I'm really not sure how to answer this one. My feeling is that you're asking the wrong question. There is little point in starting with, for instance, some noun phrase and asking whether there is any conditional statement where it could replace the "if" clause.

Rather, you start with what you are trying to express. If that is a conditional idea, first form the standard conditional using "if", and then see if you can think of a shorter form that expresses about the same idea. The sentences you showed from your text might serve as models.

There are other forms that can be used instead of the "if" form.

- If I were in Japan, I would buy a new CD player. --> Were I in Japan, I would ....

- If I had studied more, my grade would be higher. --> Had I studied more, my ...

- I wish I were ...; then I would ....
    - I hope [something happens]; then I would ...

I couldn't find any precise references that expand this subject. I hope this helps.
    ---- Pete

Anonymous Guest

all right thanks!