Thread: communications VS communication

Default communications VS communication

Hi.
    What's the difference between communications and communication? E.g, communication skills and communications skills.

Quote Originally Posted by Esme View Post
    Hi.
    What's the difference between communications and communication? E.g, communication skills and communications skills.
    These words can be used in several different ways; but for your specific example, "communication" refers to the act of transmitting information, while "communications" refers to a system, network, etc that lets such communication take place.

A person with communication skills is good at expressing ideas so that others understand them.

A person with communications skills is good at working with such systems as e-mail, telephones. television, etc.

I'd suggest looking up "communication" at onelook.com and then reading the multiple definitions of both "communication" and "communications" in a number of the dictionaries they list, including American Heritage, Cambridge International, and Webster's New World College.
    ---- Pete

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I'd suggest looking up "communication" at onelook.com and then reading the multiple definitions of both "communication" and "communications" in a number of the dictionaries they list, including American Heritage, Cambridge International, and Webster's New World College.
    Thanks, Pete! That helps a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    These words can be used in several different ways; but for your specific example, "communication" refers to the act of transmitting information, while "communications" refers to a system, network, etc that lets such communication take place.

A person with communication skills is good at expressing ideas so that others understand them.

A person with communications skills is good at working with such systems as e-mail, telephones. television, etc.

Thanks, Pete. I've been looking for some examples of use for Esme. Here are a few I found.
    Commmunication (noun) used as an adjective: communication skills, communication systems, communication research, communication programs..

Communication (singular, noun) with an adjective: oral communication, non-verbal communication, public communication, internal communication, technical communication.

Communications (plural noun) used to identify a category: communications jobs, communications classes.
    (Sometimes capitalized): Communications studies, Communications Department,