Thread: Verb "to be" + past participle and present perfect

Anonymous Guest

Default Verb "to be" + past participle and present perfect

Hi everybody,
    I always do the same mistake in using verb to be + past participle, and present perfect.

Please explain in detail how this sentences are different from each other, especially mening difference.

1) Since I read about the animal cloning,I am become more curious about human stem cell research.
    Since I read about the animal cloning,I have become more curious about human stem cell research.

2)This issue is discussed , and still discussing by religious people, politician, and scientists presenting their own views.

This issue has been discussed , and is still being discussed by religious people, politician, and scientists presenting their own views.

Thank you so much.

Default Re: Verb "to be" + past participle and present per

Quote Originally Posted by Jaya
    Hi everybody,
    I always do the same mistake in using verb to be + past participle, and present perfect.

Please explain in detail how this sentences are different from each other, especially meaning difference.

[See below.]

Thank you so much.
    -- You seem to be confusing several distinct grammatical structures. I think you probably need to consciously think about the different tenses/voices, how they are formed, and what they mean.

Present perfect tense: present of a form of "have" + a past participle.
    Present continuous (or progressive) tense: present of a form of "be" + a present participle.
    Present passive of a transitive verb: present of a form of "be" + a past participle.
    Present perfect passive of a transitive verb: present perfect of "be" + a past participle.
    Present continuous (or progressive) passive of a transitive verb: present continuous of "be" + a past participle.

1) Since I read about the animal cloning, I am become more curious about human stem cell research. [This is not correct. A form of "be" plus a past participle looks like a passive verb, but "become" is not transitive, so passive does not make sense.

> Since I read about the animal cloning, I have become more curious about human stem cell research. [This is a present perfect verb.]

2) This issue is discussed , and still discussing by religious people, politician, and scientists presenting their own views. ["Is discussed" is ok; it is a passive verb. In the next clause, "discussing" is not correct. It is a present participle, and it doesn't fit here. If you put the verb "is" before it (or assumed it from the previous clause), it would be present continuous, but that makes no sense, since the "issue" does not discuss anything.

> This issue has been discussed and is still being discussed by religious people, politician, and scientists presenting their own views. [These are both ok. Both are passive. The first is present perfect passive, and the second is present continuous passive.]
    ---- Pete